The Clinical Research Centre at Sarawak General Hospital (CRC SGH) was the third CRC established by the Ministry of Health (MOH) as part of the CRC network after the ones in Kuala Lumpur Hospital and Penang General Hospital. It was established with the aim to foster closer clinical research and cooperation at MOH hospitals in Malaysia by providing assistance in research proposals and writing, research funding and grant applications. The CRC-SGH also organises training workshops in biostatistics and research methodology and good clinical practice and assists in presentations at local and international scientific meetings. Following the increase in international multicentre clinical trials, especially in the fields of cardiovascular disease and oncology over the last five years, CRC-SGH improved its facilities and support services to strengthen the tradition of medical and epidemiological research in Sarawak.
- 3 February – Chinese New Year gathering at CRC Kuching.
- 10 February – Puan Sithy/ Ms Tan conducted a NMRR road show for Hospital Miri Staff to coincide with the opening of CRC Miri.
- 12 March – 5 April – Encik Adam Bin Haji Bujang, Head of Biostatistics Unit, CRC National, was in CRC Kuching to give free Biostatistics consultation to the Hospital Staff. There were 2 sessions per day and a total of 29 participants benefitted from this event.
- 29 March – CRC Kuching Newsletter 16th issue was sent out for distribution. (Download attached)
- Research/data information request from (Jan -March): 17
- Feasibility studies request (Jan - March) – 9
- Oral/poster presentations submitted to NIH;
- Manuscript submitted to NIH:
- Anaes Dept – 1
- Haematology Dept – 2
Jan – March – 24 (Investigator Initiated)
Jan– March - 1
- Lifecare – a Cohort study to identify biological, lifestyle and psychosocial factors associated with individual trajectories of cardiovascular risk factors and cardiovascular diseases in Malaysia- CRC, Kuching.
The study was presented at the 5th Convocation of the Fellowship of the National Heart Association Malaysia on 12-15 April at Hilton Kuala Lumpur.
Prospective randomized control trial of the post op infection rate in the 2 different shunt systems and its association with inflammatory biomarkers. Started in 2011. Target is 120 subjects.
27 subjects have been recruited.
– Neurosurgery investigator initiated. A new grant (RM160, 800/) was recently approved. CRC Kuching assists to monitor the fund.
Meetings, Conferences & Courses
Basic Research Methodology &
Date : 25 - 27 February 2013
Venue : TBA
- Intermediate Research Methodology & Biostatistics Workshop
Date : 27 February - 1 March 2013
Venue : TBA
AMO Sim Kian Tong
Clinical Research Centre Sarawak General Hospital Kuching